Summary: This post tells you how to create a Windows 10 image backup with MiniTool ShadowMaker or Windows10 backup and restore tool. Read it now to get some information.
In this day and age, the computer has become an important part in your daily life. Whiling using the computer to cope with some things in work or life in Windows 10, many files are saved to the hard drive. But data loss is a common case due to some reasons including virus attack, mistaken operation and more. Nevertheless, few users pay much attention to data security and make a backup of the disk data. Then, the data loss happens. For example, the recent WannaCry virus spreads widely leading to data loss if you don’t pay money. In this case, if you have a disk backup, you can directly use the backup to restore your computer to the normal state and then access your files.
In addition, system failure often occurs caused by virus attacks, human errors, natural disasters, and sudden crashes. When you suffers from such a situation in Windows 10, you will face Windows 10 reinstallation job, which will take much time and effort. Under this circumstance, if you have made a Windows 10 image backup for the system, here system restore will be the best solution.
Therefore, in order to ensure data security, disk backup is good for the entire disk data. For system restore from disasters, Windows 10 system image backup should be done.
After learning the necessity of backup for Windows 10, you probably rack your brain to search a professional tool for the hard drive backup or system image backup. Here we will share you two tools to create a backup for Windows 10. Please read on to learn more details.
Third-party Backup Program – MiniTool ShadowMaker
In order to back up your disk data or system, many of you choose to ask a piece of third-party software for help. Here, perhaps you ask: is there such a tool for disk backup or system backup? Of course. When searching for the program on the internet, you will find there is a variety of backup software. Which one to choose? Here we recommend you to use MiniTool ShadowMaker which is developed by the MiniTool team.
This free Windows 10 image backup software is fully compatible with Windows 10 and supports local backup and remote backup. Besides, it can be used to make a system backup or disk backup. With its recovery function, you can quickly recover your computer or get the entire disk data back. Before you do, please free download MiniTool ShadowMaker and then install it on your computer.
Step 2: Then click “Backup” button, and you will see two sections including source disk partition and destination place. In the source section, the system related partition(s) can be chosen by MiniTool ShadowMaker. If there is system reserved partition in Windows 10, this partition will be also selected.
When clicking on the destination section, two storage places on the left side are provided. You can choose to back up your system to an external hard drive or USB drive, as well as a shared folder.
Just click “Add new” to set the path of the shared folder, user name, and password of the computer of the shared folder.
Step 3: Next, you can click “Back up now” button to start to create a Windows 10 image backup for the system partition. Or “Back up Later” can delay this backup task and you can go to “Manage” tab to perform this system image backup task.
Disk Image Backup
In addition to creating Windows 10 image backup of the system, you can also choose to make a disk image backup for the entire disk data to ensure data security or Windows 10 system image restore. Disk backup contains all the partition data of the target hard drive, including system related partitions and data partitions. How can you make a disk backup in Windows 10? Just do it as the following guide shows.
Step 1: Run MiniTool ShadowMaker to the interface where you can choose local backup or remote backup. Then click “Connect” to its main interface.
Step 2: Then just choose the source disk partition and custom the destination for the backup image in “Backup” window. In the Source section, select a disk from the combo box and then select all the partitions of the selected hard disk.
In Destination part, you can also choose to store the disk image to a partition of a USB drive or external hard drive rather than the partition of the source disk. Or a shared folder is available.
Step 3: Next, you can use “Options” feature to make some advanced settings for the backup task. Moreover, “Schedule” enables you to set a regular backup daily, weekly, monthly or on event. After finishing all the settings, please start to back up.
Now we show you how to make a Windows 10 image backup, including system backup as well as disk backup. Once your system gets crashed or disk data loss, these two backups can be used to restore your system to its previous status or get lost data back. Just download MiniTool ShadowMaker for free to have a try.
Windows 10 Snap-in Backup Tool
In addition to the third-party backup software, some of you choose to use the built-in backup and restore tool for Windows. In Windows 10, it is Backup and Restore (Windows 7). This tool allows you to create a system image or disk backup.
1. Just right click the “Start” button, and select “Control Panel”.
2. Then adjust your computer setting. Here select “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” from “System and Security” menu.
3. Next hit “Create a system image” feature in the left pane.
4. Then choose the partition where you want to save the backup. Here an external hard drive, a DVD disc, and a network location are OK.
5. Then the system related partitions are included in the backup by default.
6. Then in the next window, you should confirm your backup settings including backup location, backup image size, and the included backup drives. Click “Start backup” to perform the back task.
In addition to “Create a system image” feature, you can also use “Set up backup” function to do Windows 10 image backup. With this feature, a scheduled backup is allowed.
When there is something wrong with your system, just do Windows 10 system image restore in WinPE by going “Troubleshoot” → “Advanced Options” → “System Image Recovery”.
Here two backup programs are told you. Then, it is possible that you are curious about the difference between MiniTool ShadowMaker and Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Let’s learn the detailed content now.
Windows built-in tool:
1. When creating a system image, you can only create one system image backup on a drive and any other previous backup versions will be overwritten.
2. You can only perform backup operation to the disk containing the current operating system. If you want to use this tool to make a disk backup for an external hard drive, it doesn’t support this.
3. There is no way of incremental backup or differential backup.
4. System backup image will take much time and occupy much disk space.
5. It is likely that some error codes will appear if you use Backup and Restore (Windows 7), for example, 0x80780119 code.
1. This Windows10 backup software enables you to do an incremental backup and differential backup for the added or changed data.
2. It helps you to back up system, disk or partition with ease to an external hard drive or shared folder.
3. This free software allows you to make some advanced settings with its “Options” feature for the backup task.
4. Four settings are provided for the scheduled backup, such as daily, weekly, monthly and on event.
5. “Media Builder” enables you to create a bootable disc to reboot your computer when your system is unable to boot and then do a system restore in WinPE.
6. Some other features are provided in MiniTool ShadowMaker, for instance, clone disk, PXE, Mount, Dismount and more.
7. This backup software allows you to make multiple backups and the previous backup won’t be deleted.
When reading here, you must have known which one is the best backup tool for Windows 10. Just free download MiniTool ShadowMaker to have a try.
Here we have explained so much information about Windows 10 image backup to you. So, why do you choose image backup? You probably want to learn some information.
For backup methods, the most reassuring one is the image backup? Why? It creates a snapshot of your system configuration, apps and data files for the system or disk. In the event of an emergency, the image backup can be used to restore your computer. This one won’t take much disk space since it is compressed during backup.
Some of you may consider copy & paste and clone. The former one is inefficient and troublesome if too many files need to be backed up. For a clone, the required disk space shouldn’t be smaller than the size of source data. These two ways won’t compress the backup. Therefore, to do Windows 10 backup image is a good choice. Want to learn more details about the difference between the backup options? Refer to the post – Disk Imaging Software Offers More Flexible Ways to Prevent Data Loss.
In this post, we show you why need backup, how to back up with two Windows 10 backup tools, the differences between these two programs and some tips about backup methods. After reading so much information, you know which tool is suitable for you to create a Windows 10 image backup. Just start to back up your system or the entire disk and then do a system restore or disk restore in event of accidents.
When using our software, if you have some questions, please tell us. Or if you have any suggestion to this article, please also inform us via sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving it in the comment zone.