Before we introduce Windows 10 system image recovery to you, let’s learn some information about system image backup.
It is believed that most of you have heard the conception of system image when using a computer to deal with things. So, what is a system image? Simply speaking, a system image refers to an exact copy of your system drive. It contains not only the partitions that Windows requires to run (here Windows 10 itself included) but also system files, programs, and settings.
In Windows 10, there is a built-in backup tool to create a system backup image. When reading here, it is likely that you are curious: why need to create a system backup for Windows 10? In brief, it is for system image recovery Windows 10 after Windows fails to boot due to some reasons.
Once the above cases happen to you, you can’t run your computer as normal. So, under this circumstance, to own a system image backup is very important to restore Windows 10 system to its previous normal status. On the other hand, it is also necessary for system backup in Windows 10. If you have many new computers without OS, you can use system image backup to do system migration without reinstalling Windows.
When reading here, it is most likely that you want to know: how to create a system image backup in Windows 10? How to do Windows 10 system restore?
A system image backup includes system setting, programs, and files, so it can be used to completely recover a damaged system to the state it was in when the system image was made if there is something wrong with your operating system. How to create system backup and make a system image recovery Windows 10? Two programs are recommended here, a piece of third-party backup software and Windows 10 Backup Utility.
System Image Backup Windows 10
In order to create a system backup for Windows 10, many of you choose to use a piece of professional third-party software. When searching such a program on the internet, you will find there are a great variety of backup tools and you don’t know which one to choose. Here we highly advise you to use MiniTool ShadowMaker which is researched and developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd. This dedicated Windows 10 backup software can be used as backup software and also is used as system image recovery Windows 10 tool with its powerful features such as “Backup” and “Restore”. How to create a system image backup for Windows 10?
Tip: Before you start to create a system backup in Windows 10, please free download MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on your computer.
In addition to using the third-party program to do a system backup and restore for Windows 10, some of you probably choose to use Windows 10 built-in tool called Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Follow the guidance below to begin system image backup and restore for Windows 10.
create Create a System Image Backup
As for system backup with Windows backup utility, it is simple. Just right click on “Start” button to select “Control Panel”. Then click “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” under “System and Security” tab.
1. After opening the backup tool, please click “Create a system image” on the left side.
2. Then you should choose a location where you want to save the backup, a hard disk, a DVD disc or a network location is available. Here we choose to back up to an external hard drive.
3. Next, in the pop-up window, you can see the partition(s) that are required for Windows to run will be included in the system backup.
4. The backup location and the drives will be backed up can be shown then. Please confirm your backup setting and then click “Start backup” button to perform Windows 10 system image backup.
After a few minutes, the backup will be finished. In the case of a system issue, the backup can be used to recover your computer.
restore Restore System Image in Windows 10
How to do system image recovery Windows 10 with the Windows built-in tool? If your Windows cannot boot with a system issue, usually, Windows 10 will automatically enter the interface of WinRE. If your computer is unable to enter the interface, you need to prepare a Windows installation disc to achieve the aim.
1. Then click “Troubleshoot” to go to “Advanced Options” interface and then select “System Image Recovery” to recover Windows by using the specific system image file you have created.
2. Next, select a system image backup. Here the latest available system image is checked by default.
3. Then you don’t need to choose “Format and repartition disks”, just click “Next”.
4. Then you will enter a summary screen, please click “Finish”. Then you will receive a warning saying “All data on the drives to be restored will be replaced with the data in the system image. Are you sure you want to continue?”, please click “Yes”.
Now two ways to create system backup and Windows 10 system image recovery are introduced to you. When reading here, you may be curious: which one you should choose? What’s the difference between them?
By contrast, you know MiniTool ShadowMaker is more powerful than Windows 10 snap-in Backup and Restore tool. Look at the following aspects:
The software has the feature “Media Builder” which can be used to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive and boot your failed Windows 10 system. When using Windows built-in backup and restore tool, you probably fail to enter WinRe, but you don’t have a Windows installation disc. In order to avoid suffering from this case, MiniTool ShadowMaker is worth of being recommended.
Now we come to the end of this post. In this post, we show you the importance of backup, how to make a system backup and create a system image recovery Windows 10 by two ways including MiniTool ShadowMaker and Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and the comparison of these two tools. By comparison, we recommend you to use the professional software – MiniTool ShadowMaker. Please choose to make a local backup or remote backup of your system or the entire disk for data protection.