Today’s topic is Windows error code 0xc000000f, and first of all I’d like to show a question in forum that asking for help:
I have a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. And when I start the system I get the following message:
“Windows Boot Manager:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1.Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2.Choose your language settings, and then click “Next”.
3.Click “Repair your computer.”
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.”
I searched the forums. But unfortunately I don’t have the installation disc. Is there any other way to get through this. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Writing here, I decide to find out a picture to show it in a more intuitive way. And the error code should be like this:
This error code is closely related to Window boot sector. Boot sector is important to load the Windows in memory for execution. Thus, if the boot sector is corrupted for some reason, Windows is unable to load. Also hard disk failure may lead to this error, such as bad sector or malware.
Normally Windows operating system boots according to the following sequence:
1. BIOS loads the MBR, verifies 55 AA signature and transfers control to Master Boot Record.
2. MBR scans the partition table for active partition, then it loads the first sector from active partition, verifies 55 AA signature, and transfers control to Boot Sector.
3. Boot Sector loads 15 additional sectors from the start of the disk (Volume Boot Record) and transfers control to first additional sector of VBR.
4. VBR loads BOOTMGR file from root directory of boot partition into the memory and transfers control to it.
5. BOOTMGR loads Boot\BCD registry hive and displays boot menu. BOOTMGR is able to run memory test and set safe mode boot flag per explicit user request. But normally, it loads winload.exe when computer boots normally (cold startup) or winresume.exe (when computer resumes from hibernation).
6. Winload.exe opens SYSTEM registry hive, gets list of drivers, loads NTOSKRNL.exe, loads drivers (*.SYS files) and transfers control to NTOSKRNL.exe.
7. Winresume.exe loads memory dump from hiberfil.sys and transfers control to it.
Then what leads to ‘0xC000000F’ boot error?
‘0xC000000F’ boot error occurs at the fifth point. When BOOTMGR tries to load Boot\BCD registry hive, but BCD is corrupt or misconfigured. Then the rest of usual boot events does not happen.
1. Make Sure Nothing Is Plugged in
Keep the number of devices plugged in at the minimum, except for the mouse and keyboard and make sure your PC boots from the hard drive and not from any other non-bootable discs.
2. Make Sure Your Boot Partition Is Set to Active
Just download and create a bootable media by using MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD. Then set computer to boot from the bootable media in BIOS. Ok you will be lead to the main interface of Partition Wizard. In the middle pane you can see whether the boot partition is set “Active”. If not, right-click on the partition and press “Set Active”.
Recommended: How to Build Free Bootable Partition Manager with Pwfree91.iso?
3. Repair the MBR and Boot Sectors
From the recovery console run the two commands in order:
Now reboot the machine again into the recovery console and type “bcdboot path to your windows folder“. Usually the windows folder should be c:\windows, but in the recovery console it may show up as D:\windows, so make sure you get the path right. By doing this a new bcd boot is build to store and copy all boot files to boot. Now reboot your machine one last time and it should work.
4. “Refresh” or “Reset” PC
The last choice would be refresh or reset PC, but usually we do not want to fresh install Windows, unless it’s the only option, because it contains important data. In this case, we recommend users to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD to cline the system partition to another drive, by doing this they can keep their personal data safe and sound even they operate refresh or reset.
Now use these four ways to solve Windows Boot Manager 0xc000000f issue.