Hard drives often carry with bad sectors after a long term usage. If bad sectors occurs, there is a possibility that data loss/corruption may happen. Then how do you know there are bad sectors or not? Well, some surface test tool does the job.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is such a utility that can scan for bad sectors. Its “Surface Test” feature is very easy to use and report result in an intuitive way. So if you have no idea about how to do a surface test, use it directly.
Here are the detailed steps:
Step 1: Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard. Click on the source disk and choose “Surface Test“.
Step 2: A new window pops out. On this page click “Start Now” to begin the checking.
Step 3: Please pay attention to the number marked by red lines. If it is “0”, then there is no bad sector on your drive. If not, you need to carry out bad sector fix.
Download MiniTool Partition Wizard
More features for MiniTool Partition Wizard
If there are bad sectors on the drive, do the followings:
1. Open Windows Explorer, right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Tools tab, and then press Check Now under Error Checking.
3. Select Automatically fix file system errors and let Windows to repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects automatically. Otherwise, it only reports problems but not fix them.
4. To fix bad sectors, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Then it will try to repair physical errors on the hard disk, and this may take a long time.
5. To check for both file errors and physical errors, select BOTH Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors and click Start.
Don’t use your computer for any other tasks while it’s checking errors. Otherwise you’ll be prompted to recheck the hard d rive for error the next time you restart your computer.