Hi… I just got a new pc, with a 3tb wd. I installed windows7, but in disk management I can only see 2tb… the bios can see 3tb. What can I do? When I installed w7, it didn’t ask me if I wanted MBR or GPT partition… from what I understand, I need the hd to be GPT to see 3tb in windows… but how?
Is there a way to convert the HD to GPT now? My problem is that the hd is the main bootable drive… I read it’s easy to convert mbr to gpt in 2nd drives but how do you do it on the main one? I just installed W7 so I don’t care if i lose all data on it, I just want to be able to access all 3tb. Or is there another way to be able to access the 1tb left I can’t see?
When connecting a new disk to computer, Windows will ask you to initialize it. You can choose either MBR or GPT as its partition style. What’s the difference of them? Generally speaking, the maximum volume an MBR disk can recognize is 2TB and it can hold 4 primary partitions at most. While GPT disk doesn’t have such limitations. Windows can recognize up to 18EB volume and the maximum number of partitions on a GPT disk is 128. In addition, you can create both MBR and GPT disk on UEFI mother board, but only MBR disk on Legacy BIOS main board.
Therefore, to break 2TB barrier, you can convert the disk to GPT disk and format it as NTFS.
Way 1: Use Disk Management
Disk Management can convert completely empty MBR disk to GPT disk, so you’d better backup disk before the conversion. To launch Disk Management, run “diskmgmt.msc” at “Start” menu and press Enter key.
1. Delete all the partitions on the disk.
2. Right click on the empty disk and select Convert to GPT Disk.
3. Right click the unallocated space and select New Simple Volume. You will find all disk space are available for use.
Way 2: Use Free MiniTool Partition Wizard
There is another way to break 2TB partition limitation without losing data – use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free which works on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista to convert disk to GPT.
1. Install and launch this freeware.
2. Right click the disk and select “Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk“.
3. Click “Apply” to execute the operation.
4. You can create new partition on the unallocated space or extend the current partition now, and the MBR 2TB limit is broken.
Besides using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to break 2TB barrier, you can also use it to Migrate OS to SSD/HD, copy disk, convert FAT to NTFS, and more. Download this freeware and start the rescue.